Job Listing – Sr. Director of Marketing & Communications
Sr. Director of Marketing & Communications
Our Client – Theatre Calgary
Theatre Calgary is looking for an enthusiastic and strategic Senior Director of Marketing & Communications with a passion for the Arts. You will be an integral part of the success of the Theatre Calgary team, growing our customer base and brand in Calgary and beyond.
About Theatre Calgary
At Theatre Calgary, our purpose is to crush monotony through creative and engaging experiences.
We are first and foremost story tellers with the desire to create raving fans who become loyal subscribers. Our vision is to stand amongst the best theatres globally as a leader in innovative, impactful, and diverse programming. Our mission is to stimulate, provoke and delight through ambitious programming created to ignite, local, national, and international engagement.
Theatre Calgary is recognized as Calgary’s preeminent theatre company as well as a leader in the Canadian and international theatre communities. For over 50 years, Theatre Calgary has presented work that delights audiences and inspires generations of emerging artists. We are proud to be a vital contributor to Calgary’s creative energy.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications guides Theatre Calgary’s marketing and communications programs and direction while also being an active partner with the senior leadership team in planning the organization’s future strategy and implementing ongoing operations. You will lead a team to produce powerful marketing programs that drive greater brand awareness, global recognition among audiences and position Theatre Calgary as an industry leader.
- Develop a rolling 2-year marketing and communications plan aligned to annual strategic plan;
- Supervise departmental staff (Marketing Manager or Communications Director)
- Manage, guide and grow the Theatre Calgary brand and identity.
- Develop and manage the annual marketing and communications budget.
- Manage all production requirements, including creative advertising, video content, brochures, signage, information pieces, flat sheets, stakeholder presentations, videos, AGM presentations and other.
- Manage all agency/third party vendor work in support of annual plan and conduct yearly evaluations.
- Negotiate vendor/supplier contracts for printing and production, media placement, research, event fulfillment and more.
- Develop key media relationships to support sponsorship strategy.
- Conduct necessary market research; being mindful of market trends and their impact Theatre Calgary.
- Prepare regular audits or summary reports of marketing programs, making recommendations for improvement or refinement.
- Oversee the integrated communication strategy – ensure alignment with marketing and Theatre Calgary’s strategy.
- Oversee the preparation of media releases, key messages, speeches and other.
- Oversee the media pitching strategy and track all media coverage and report weekly/mos to senior leadership.
- Manage working relationships with Calgary’s broadcast, print and social media personnel and key influencers; actively participate in delivery of key messages to the media; (Sponsorship opportunities)
- Oversee communication tools: website upkeep, e-newsletters, video storytelling, social media channels, (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Acting with the senior leadership team, develop and maintain a corporate emergency response plan.
Candidate Qualifications & Attributes
- BSC or BA in marketing or communications or equivalent.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following industries, the arts, tourism industry or live events experience.
- Proven experience as a director of marketing (or similar role) 7+ years.
- Proven marketing campaign experience delivering or exceeding results.
- Proven experience successfully inspiring and leading teams.
- Thorough understanding of marketing, content development, SEO/SEM.
- Demonstratable experience in data analytics and tools.
- Solid computer skills MS office, adobe, PPT, CRM and web analytics and google.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS and web development.
- Proven ability to work with cross functional teams and ability to maintain strong network of industry partners and
- Minimum 7-10 years management experience, directing, coaching, and advising teams and managing budgets in excess off $500K annually.
- Serve as the key strategist and thought leader for Marketing and Communications, attending management meetings, stakeholder meetings and other key senior responsibilities and initiatives.
- Be an astute observer of current events, trends, and issues as they relate to the arts, entertainment and the Tourism industry and the promotion of one of Calgary key experiences as a global destination.
- Develop excellent business networks with partners and share insights, opportunities and challenges facing the industry.
- A critical eye; courage to lead and positively challenge self and others.
- Strong time management, ability to multi-task and organizational skills.
Strategic Planning, Marketing & Communications Core Competencies
- Contribute to a team environment to the strategic direction of Theatre Calgary.
- Lead a passionate team of marketing and communication specialists, overseeing all marketing initiatives to ensure consistency, effectiveness, and relevancy with respect to customer research, advertising, creative, content development and distribution to targeted audiences.
- Experience with building brands and impactful marketing and communications programs.
- Ability to integrate Marketing and Communications within corporate strategy -working collaboratively with multiple divisions.
- A working knowledge of graphic design and brand standards.
- Superior communication skills including familiarity with mobile, online, social media tools and techniques.
- Attention to detail with strong oversight and copywriting skills.
Commitment to Diversity / Compensation
Commitment to Diversity
Theatre Calgary is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres and operates within the jurisdiction of the Canadian Theatre Agreement.
Theatre Calgary is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We recognize that a diverse staff enriches the environment and culture of our entire organization and our larger community. As such, we are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society.
We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our organization’s diversity. We welcome applications from all qualified persons and encourage all those who may contribute to the further diversification of our ideas and perspectives to apply.
Theatre Calgary offers a unique and exciting work environment, a robust total compensation package and the opportunity for advancement and employee training. Salary commensurate with experience.
|Tomoya Ouchi, RPR
Search and Recruitment Consultant
Toll Free: 800.387.8797
We thank all applicants for your time and interest in applying for this role at Theatre Calgary.
Application deadline: March 12, 2021.